10/24/2005

MOTW: On the Back-Burner... for now

I begin this post with something I wrote back a while ago, in one of my earlier posts for this blog:

"If things don't fall through, if the suit isn't ready, if the effects don't work out, or if anything causes me to feel that this isn't ready, then I have no problem pushing it back or delaying it indefinitely. I rather have it ready to go or not ready at all."
After what went down with my teaser trailer plan being delayed indefinitely because my friend couldn't get any footage shot, I've come to a decision about my pet project.
I'm pushing it back. Again.
A lot of factors went to this decision. Mainly, was the fact that I have no teaser trailer for this film. With the weather getting colder and my friend(who's playing the lead) not being able to get footage done, this was a key factor in not getting this off the ground. My plan was to use this trailer to promote the film and possibly to drum up funds for the big film. Since it was looking highly doubtful to get a teaser trailer ready until at least next spring or when the weather warms up, that was one cause for the delay.
I did look at other angles, like not using my friend in the footage or using his voice or something like that. I even looked at using another script idea for a trailer, but I rather use him and I rather use this idea.
Another factor was time involved for doing this film. I talked with a lot of people, some friends I know, when it came to shooting this film. The way the script is now, even though I'm still crafting it, will be about 90 minutes and even if I were to get everyone's schedules together, since a lot of people will be from out of town, I doubt we can get everything done in about a week's time. I'll see what we can do, but considering that I need to get some work in as to putting such a project together, I'd rather have a safe plan than just one that may fall apart when everyone gets together.
So like I said, after giving this some thought, I've decided to delay MOTW until late next year or possibly summer 2007. I think by that time, a solid game plan will be in place to put my pet project together.
But in the meantime, I'm not completely given up on my baby. Remember my teaser trailer idea? I think it's good. So good in fact that next summer I'm going to turn that small script into a short film. Shooting this short film. I think this will be great practice for me as to what I can and can't do when it comes to filming this. Plus, my friend will be heading up here to film his part for this. Which works great time wise and budget wise as well. So we'll see what happens. I'm going to expand upon this short film idea, turning my two-to-three minute teaser until a thirty minute or so movie. I may even still call it "Mark of the Wolf", but maybe use that as an introduction or a launching pad for what the main feature will be about.
So, as I stated earlier in my previous post and at the start of this one, I rather have it ready to go than not ready at all. What I plan to do the rest of this year and part of 2006 will help me to make sure that this film will be ready to go, whenever it happens.

1 comment:

Ronald said...

That's a bummer! Hopefully things will come together sooner rather than later, but I agree, better to hold off till you can get it done the way you want.

(BTW, you may want to enable word-verification on your Blogger comments to block the spam comments)